What do we do?
All Happy Science activities are for the sake of human happiness. Happy Science is active in:
- Spreading the Truth and conducting prayers for the sake of happiness to individuals, society and the world.
- Educating individuals and nurturing them to awaken to their true-selves and purpose in life.
- Contributing to the improvement of society through charities, campaigns, special events and providing guidance in all major areas of life such as education, politics, working life and the media to encourage decisions that are in accordance with goodness, wisdom and Truth.
Educating individuals to achieve true happiness
Happy Science emphasizes the importance of soul training, which is a key factor for achieving true happiness. Providing various learning environments and publishing many books of Truth, Happy Science encourages individuals to study the Laws of the Great Universe and to attain true wisdom through putting this teaching into daily practice.
- International retreats are special seminars usually held twice a year at a Happy Science Shoja in Japan. These seminars are great opportunities to meet people from all over the world who walk on the same spiritual path, to reflect on our mind in the light of the Truth, to re-energize ourselves in a heavenly environment and to gain wisdom that help us to discover true happiness. International retreats usually last 4 days and 3 nights, providing full board catering to all participants.
- Local seminars are also held at Happy Science temples, local centers, Missionary houses or public venues. These seminars provide an opportunity to grasp the essence of the Truth and to meet similar “Truth seekers” in your area.
- Spiritual growth programs for members are available at all Happy Science local temples. As the teachings of Master Okawa are infinitely extensive and deep, a special training program has been introduced to help Happy Science members study the Truth systematically. The whole program is divided into 4 levels: Basic, Intermediate, Advanced and High Proficiency.
- Watching video lectures – available at all temples, local centers and Missionary houses. Recorded imagery of Master speaking actually has as much spiritual impact as live lectures do. It is also a convenient way to study the Truth as veiwings can be accomodated to everyone’s busy schedule.
- Meditation sessions are held generally on a weekly basis. Please contact your local temple or center to obtain the latest schedules.
- Ritual Prayers (Kigans) are sacred ceremonial prayers performed at temples. They are special opportunities to relay your pledge to do your best directly to the heavens and ask for their light and guidance in achieving your goals and aspirations. There are many types of Ritual Prayers such as succeeding in life, happiness in the home, or recovering from illness.
- Happy Science Celebrations: Day of Great Enlightenment: Commemoration of the day Master Ryuho Okawa attained Great Enlightenment. March 23rd.
- Birthday Celebration: Celebration of Master Ryuho Okawa’s day of birth. July 7th.
- El Cantare Festival: The day of reflection and gratitude for the year. In December.
Happy Science’s charity activities
Happy Science is a non-profit organization fully committed to alleviating suffering, poverty, famineand to create a better world. Some of the organizations we have supported include Unicef, Save the Children and the Red Cross. Happy Science provides relief to victims of natural disasters and humanitarian aid to regions ravaged by conflict. We will continue to provide financial and material support where needed in addition to continuing in our work as a religion – the salvation of the soul – which is the greatest social contribution and public work there is.
Supporting students with a bright future:
The Golden Age Scholarship
The Golden Age Scholarship is a funding system created to support students dedicated to building a bright, golden future for the world. This scholarship is given to young students all over the world to help them in their education, spiritual growth and purusit of their dreams. If you are a student and would like to apply to receive an application form/application essay topic, please contact us.
Happy Science’s ‘Prevention against suicide campaigns’
Happy Science regularly holds campaigns on the streets all across Japan in order to stop more than 30,000 suicides that happen every year. Since 2003, Happy Science has been passing out leaflets and speaking out about spiritual truth to inform people that each life is precious and sacred and that life does not end with death.
Our passion to supporting education and youth welfare
To nurture children of the future, Happy Science is very much involved in the field of education. In 2010, Happy Science established its first junior and senior high school in Nasu called “The Happy Science Academy”. A second school in Western Japan is planned to open in 2013 and a Happy Science University in Chiba in 2016. Other Happy Science educational establishments, which cater to various age groups, are: a preparatory school called “Success No.1”, “Angel Plan V” for tots, and “Senior Plan21” for our senior members. Also, Happy Science has founded an Anti-Bullying Campaign to tackle the widespread problem of bullying in schools. It conducts seminars to educate the public about the seriousness of the widespread problem of bullying in schools, invite experts and present solutions as well as provide consultation. Happy Science also runs a special school called “Never Mind”. It is a free school for students who find it emotionally difficult to go to an ordinary public school. “Never Mind” is a school where the individuality, values and independence of the child are respected.
A deep appreciation for culture and the arts
A replica of the Harati Mata temple that was a favorite at the Nepal Pavilion in 2005’s Aichi World Expo held in Japan is preserved next to Happy Science Utsunomiya Shoshinkan. It is affectionately known by the locals as the Nepal-Buddha Pavilion and is open for everyone to visit. The Buddhist spirit forms the core of Happy Science. Therefore, culturally preserving Buddhism, which has long been the heart and soul of many people, is also one of the many missions Happy Science has.
The ultimate activity – The mission to spread Truth to the world
The fundamental key for people to awaken to true happiness and be able to experience that happiness each day is in the teachings and in its practice. That is why Happy Science places the greatest importance on the spreading of these precious teachings to all people in every country of the world.
Missionary work, or ‘dendo’ in Japanese, is a grand mission and noble activity which in itself brings happiness to the individual undertaking such a task.
Missionary work is to reveal the sacred path that people should journey, to guide them to Truth, and provide generous opportunities for everyone to awaken to the real meaning and purpose of life. Many people have already awakened to their mission to become ‘generators of happiness’ and are living self-less lives that will become beacons of light for many generations to come. They have already decided to pursue the path to become an angel of light (bodhisattva); they have already dedicated their life to creating Utopia on earth.
Missionary work is the most precious way to practice love that gives. It is simple, fun, and infinitely rewarding. Through handing out monthly magazines, donating books and volunteering at your local events, even one person can become a great force of happiness for many. Join in our activities today!